River Baroness Cruise Photos
Day 2: Les Andelys and River Seine (2)
Our walking tour ended at the Church of Saint-Saveur in Petit-Andelys. (The church was locked, so we couldn't see the interior.)
Construction of St-Saveur began in 1198, and some elements of the present-day church--such as the statue of Christ between the entrance doors--date back to the 13th Century.
The bunch of grapes on Christ's arm commemorates the wine
production that once took place in Les Andelys.
After the walking tour, we explored the village center of Peti-Andelys on our own. In this photo, you can see a few of the village's many half-timbered buildings. (Chateau Gaillard is visible on the hilltop above the grey roof.)
As we walked around Petit-Andelys, we peeked through an open gate to admire this impressive house and its back yard.
Directional signs in the downtown Petit-Andelys pointed to the tourist office, the nearest motorway, and nearby towns.
Another sign identified one of the two bakeries in Les Andelys.
The village had several attractive gift shops and art galleries. The shops attracted umbrella-toting guests from River Baroness and another vessel that had moored after our ship's arrival in Les Andelys.
Many years earlier, we'd visited Normandy with Yodel, our Wire-Haired Fox Terrier, so we couldn't resist photographing this alert-looking dog and its owner.
Across the street, a postal carrier was making her rounds by bicycle.
Our "all aboard" time was 12:30 p.m., so we reluctantly followed the handful of other River Baroness passengers who were walking back to the ship.
Soon, the gangway was lifted on board.
River Baroness departed for Rouen at 1 p.m.,
leaving Les Andelys and Chateau Gaillard behind.
Copyright © 1996-2017 Durant and Cheryl Imboden. All rights reserved.