From: Lübeck, Germany
St. Petri, or St. Peter's, began as a wooden church in 1170, was replaced by
a Romanesque stone church in the early 13th Century, and evolved into a largely
Gothic church over the next several hundred years.
After the incendiary bombing of 1942, only the Petrikirche's outer walls were
left standing. The church was gradually rebuilt over the next 45 years, and it
was reconsecrated in 1987. Today, St. Petri houses concerts, exhibitions, and
other special events, including a Christmas market in early December.
Photo: Lübeck Travemünde Tourismus / Sven-Erik
"Best of the Web"
- Forbes and The Washington Post