Kensington Palace, London
|English tea in the Orangery.|
The Orangery, a columned building in the gardens next to the palace, was built for Queen Anne in 1704. It was designed as a greenhouse and summer dining room, with columns separating tall windows that admit vast quantities of sunlight into the long, narrow interior that now serves as a restaurant and café.
The Orangery is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in peak season and until 5 p.m. from November through March. (It's closed from December 24-26.) Visit in the morning for coffee and pastries, or come for soups, salads, desserts, and other light foods during the luncheon hour. From mid-afternoon until closing time, the Orangery serves a traditional English tea.
Every now and then, the Orangery creates menus to honor special occasions. For the 50th anniversary of D-Day in June, 2004, it began serving a "War Time Menu" based on WWII food rations and recipes. See the archived wartime rationing press release in our European Travel News section for more information on that menu.
Next page: Visitor Information
|In this article:|
|Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection|
|Diana, Princess of Wales Dress Collection|
|The Orangery - café-restaurant|
|Other London travel articles at Europe for Visitors|
Top photo copyright © HRP. Used by permission.
"Best of the Web"
Copyright © 1996-2013 Durant and Cheryl Imboden and their licensors. All rights reserved.