Venice for Visitors - Home

imageimageQuickVenice banner



Accademia Bridge

from: Fisheye Venice

photo

The Ponte dell'Accademia, or Accademia Bridge, was erected as a wooden temporary bridge in the early 1930s. It replaced an iron bridge that British architect A.E. Neville built in 1854. (Neville also designed the original Ponte dei Scalzi near the railroad station.)

The Accademia Bridge is located near the San Marco end of the Grand Canal. It crosses from the Campo San Vidal (a small square off the Campo San Stefano) to the Campo della Carita and the Accademia art museum (hidden by scaffolding and a construction screen in the photo above, which was taken during the gallery's restoration).




Also see:

 


Copyright 1996-2014 Durant Imboden and Cheryl Imboden. All rights reserved.