European Vacation Rentals:
A Home Away From Home
ABOVE: In Venice, our family of five rented a
three-bedroom garden apartment behind this doorway for less than US $1,000 a
Save money (and feel like a local) with a holiday apartment or cottage in Europe.
B&Bs, and pensions are likely to be your accommodations of choice when
you're traveling alone or spending only a few days at your destination. But for
longer stays, or when traveling a family, there's an even better option: renting
a furnished apartment, villa, chalet, or cottage by the week.
Over the years, my family has enjoyed this "self-catering" approach
in destinations such as:
- Copenhagen: A spacious two-bedroom, two-bath apartment with Danish
modern furnishings and patio in a suburban holiday center on the beach.
- Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany: Two studio apartments in a modern
townhouse near the city center, one with a terrace overlooking a garden and
the spire of the nearby cathedral.
- Sondervig, Denmark: A modern three-bedroom brick cottage with
thatched roof and sauna amid the dunes of Jutland's North Sea coast.
- Radstadt, Austria: A vacation cottage with its own garden, close to
a dairy farm where we bought fresh milk from the cowherd.
- Bornholm, Denmark: A two-bedroom vacation apartment on an island in
the Baltic Sea, with horse-riding lessons for our children at no extra cost.
- Thun, Switzerland: A lakeside apartment in a medieval town between
the Swiss capital of Bern and the Bernese Oberland resort of Interlaken.
More space for less money
Continued on page 2
"Best of the Web"
- Forbes and The Washington Post
Our most popular topics:
Need a car in Europe?
Auto Europe guarantees the lowest rental
rates for standard cars, sports cars, SUVs, luxury cars,
chauffered sedans, and RVs. Its Web site also has driving information
for 38 countries.
you live outside the EU, a
Peugeot tourist lease can be cheaper than renting.
Minimum driver age is 18, there' s no upper age limit, and rates include
Short-Term Car Leasing
Traveling by train?
Rail Europe has free schedules, maps, and
guides for 50+ European railroads.