Europe for Visitors - Home
Home Main Index Site Search

Travel Insurance

Page 2
Continued from page 1

Special coverages

Two other types of insurance coverage are worth knowing about:

Car insurance.  If you rent a car in Europe, liability insurance will be included, but you may be responsible for collision damage or theft unless you buy a collision damage waiver (CDW) and car theft insurance (LDW). Some credit-card companies offer such coverage as a free perk, but not all do--and the insurance many not apply to all countries. To be safe, you can purchase coverage from the rental firm or--less expensively--from a company that specializes in travel insurance. See our Rental Car Insurance article for details.

Homeowner's insurance. Your standard homeowner's policy may cover some losses when you're traveling, but coverage on items like jewelry may be limited, and business equipment (such as laptop computers) may be excluded. Check with your insurance agent before taking valuables with you on a trip.

Where to buy trip insurance:

InsureMyTrip our partner
"The largest travel insurance comparison site on the Internet" offers coverage from leading insurers. Use the automated quote form to price and compare policies from different companies. If you live in the United Kingdom, see:
This site offers product comparisons for 70 insurance companies that sell policies in Britain, along with general insurance advice for UK-based travelers.

MedjetAssist our partner
If you're seriously ill or injured more than 150 miles from your home, this company will supervise your medical care and--if necessary--fly you across the ocean by air ambulance.

Related articles at Europe for Visitors:

Travel Insurance Revisited: Terrorism and Supplier Default
Travel insurance is valuable, but not all policies offer adequate coverage against terrorism, civil unrest, and the bankruptcy of an airline, cruise line, or tour company. Here's what to look for before you buy a policy.

Rental-Car Insurance
Do you need liability insurance in Europe? Should you pay extra for a Collision Damage Waiver, or can you rely on your credit card's free coverage?

Back to: Travel insurance - Page 1

In this article:

Also see:

"Best of the Web"
- Forbes and The Washington Post

  arrow About Europe for Visitors

Photo (c)

Need a car in Europe?

If you live outside the EU, a tax-free tourist car lease can be cheaper than renting for visits of 21+ days. Minimum driver age is 18, there' s no upper age limit, and rates include insurance.

  arrow  Renault Eurodrive car leases


Traveling by train?

Get free schedules, maps, and guides for 50+ European railroads. (Residents of North and Central America can buy tickets and rail passes online.)

  arrow Rail Europe

Our companion sites:

  arrow Venice for Visitors

  arrow Paris for Visitors

  arrow Rome for Visitors

  arrow Europe for Cruisers