Europe for Visitors - Home
Home  Main Index Tour Europe by Ship About Us

Rental-Car Insurance

Page 2
Continued from page 1

Smart car

ABOVE: In Breisach, Germany, a little car promotes Big Macs.

Inexpensive Collision Damage Waivers

Travel Guard International, a leading U.S. travel-insurance specialist, sells a worldwide $35,000 Collision Damage Waiver for only US $9.00 per day plus a policy fee of $3.00. This rate is a bargain compared to the prices charged by rental-car firms, although there is a $250 deductible.

Final tips

  • If you plan to cross national borders in a European rental car, make sure you have the rental firm's approval and any required documentation before you leave the country where you rented the car. This is especially important when driving to Italy and Eastern Europe.

  • If you're a resident of Britain or Continental Europe, check with your car-insurance agent or broker to learn what may be covered by your existing policy.

Related articles

Travel Insurance
When the unexpected occurs, trip coverage can save the day.

Driving in Europe
Information and links on trip planning, car rentals, short-term leases, traffic laws, International Driving Permits, and more.

Car or Train?
Should you tour Europe on four wheels or ride the rails? Use this quiz and related resources to make a wise decision.

Europe by Van and Motorhome
Relive the '60s in a VW van or cruise the Continent in a land yacht.

Back to: Rental-car insurance - Page 1

In this article:

Money tools and tips at
Currency converter
The euro
ATMs and exchange machines
ATM conversion fees
Using credit cards in Europe
Credit-card surcharges
Visa TravelMoney, Amex Travelfunds, Post Office Travel Money Cards
Traveler's checks
Tax-free shopping (VAT refunds)
Travel-insurance articles

"Best of the Web"
- Forbes and The Washington Post


Copyright (c) iStockphoto/arosoft

Need a car in Europe?

Tourist car leases (21+ days)

If you live outside the EU, a tax-free Renault or Peugeot tourist car lease can be cheaper than renting for visits of three weeks or longer. Minimum driver age is 18, there' s no upper age limit, and rates include insurance.

Car Rentals

Auto Europe makes it easy to find the best car and motorhome rental rates in more than 20,000 locations.


More travel advice: